A few years ago, the idea of launching a comedy podcast was considered an innovative one. Today, however, there are more than 16 billion comedy podcasts (that’s an estimate). The point is, there’s so many — and so many quality comedy podcasts — that it’s not at all insane to establish a podcast festival. And that’s exactly what comedian Graham Elwood and Chris Mancini (co-hosts of the popular podcast Comedy Film Nerds) along with Dave Anthony (Walking The Room podcast) and Andy Wood (founder of the well-respected Bridgetown Comedy Festival in Portland) have done. At least, that’s what they’re trying to do.
The Los Angeles Podcast Festival will go down Oct. 12-14 in Santa Monica at the Sheraton Delfina if the aforementioned names could raise at least $20,000 through Kickstarter. The concept behind the festival is simple: imagine a live comedy festival, but replace stand-up, sketch and improv performances with live tapings of comedy podcasts. On the last day of the festival, however, there will be an all-star blowout stand-up comedy show. The tentative podcast lineup is an impressive one:
– Marc Maron’s WTF
– Jimmy Pardo’s Never Not Funny
– Todd Glass’s The Todd Glass Show
– Graham Elwood and Chris Mancini’s Comedy Film Nerds
– Greg Behrendt and Dave Anthony’s Walking the Room
– Jackie Kashian’s The Dork Forest
– Mike Schmidt’s The 40-Year-Old Boy
– Al Madrigal, Maz Jobrani and Chris Spencer’s The Minivan Men
– Lynette Carolla and Stefanie Wilder-Taylor’s For Crying Out Loud
You can check out the festival’s official Kickstarter page here to learn more. Or, if you’re really lazy you can just watch this video. We get it. Reading hurts, sometimes.