Recently, we heard that writer Nicholas Stoller and director James Bobin were officially moving forward on a sequel to last year’s Muppets, and though we knew Jason Segel (the man behind the original flick) was not going to write it, there were assumptions that he would be involved. But now we learn that Segel will not be involved in any official capacity.
“It’s true but it’s totally amicable. My goal was to bring The Muppets back and I did that leaving them in very good hands, my writing partner and James Bobin the director. I did what I set out to do, and now I wanna pursue more human-related projects (laughs),” he told Collider.com.
With his work on CBS’ super-rated How I Met Your Mother and his upcoming big screen projects, it’s no wonder he had to bail. This month he stars in Jeff, Who Lives at Home with Ed Helms (March 16), The Five-Year Engagement (which he wrote with Stoller) is out April 27 and he co-stars alongside Paul Rudd and Melissa McCarthy in Judd Apatow’s This is 40, which is set to hit theaters on Dec. 21.
“All I wanted to do was to set the stage for them to do whatever they wanted. I’m sure I’ll return in some capacity here and there, but that was half a decade of my life. Five years of hard work. I’m ready for a little puppet break,” Segel said.
I can’t lie. I’m depressed, though I totally understand why Segel isn’t jumping into the film. So give it a few weeks and we’ll have lots of rumors about who will star and whether or not Segel approves. Who would you like to see in the sequel?