Comedian Andy Andrist was molested when he was a child. And on Super Bowl Sunday (Feb. 3), Andrist will release a video showing his alleged abuser – Stephen P. Spleen of Port St. Lucie, Fl – admitting his actions.
Andrist and longtime friend, comedian Doug Stanhope, shot the video on Nov. 4 in a hotel in Spleen’s hometown. According to a partial transcript recited in a Fort Pierce, Fl courtroom on Jan. 4, Andrist confronts Spleen, saying, “You were a sexual predator to me…You used that to ruin a portion of my life.” Spleen responded, “Uh-huh.” Andrist eventually asks Spleen if he’s sorry and Spleen responds, “Yes.”
Spleen molested Andrist from June 1976 to 1981 when the comedian was between the ages of 11 and 13, the Eugene, Ore.-based comic claims. “He said Spleen massaged him several times, and each time Spleen touched Andrist’s penis,” according to a report on TCPalm.com. “Andrist also claims Spleen served him alcohol and showed him pornographic movies.”
Before the court hearing last week, Andrist was told he couldn’t show the video. However, Circuit Judge Dan Vaughn threw that injunction out, paving the way for its release. And despite Spleen’s apparent admittance on the tape, his attorney now states that his 67-year-old client “denies the allegations 100 percent,” adding that, “in this day and age, videos can spread like wildfire. This case is about the fact that people shouldn’t be able to say things about other people that aren’t true and get away with it.”
Andrist announced on his Twitter feed today, “That mercy offer has expired. Clip of The Florida incident will be posted on Super Bowl Sunday.” He later added, in reference to the speed at which Spleen’s laywer said the footage would spread: “Faster than wildfire, I reckon.”
Andrist filmed a set for HBO stand-up show Jim Norton’s Down and Dirty in 2008, wherein he opened the show telling the crowd that he was molested by a handicapped guy when he was 12. Although his set never aired on the cable network, you can watch the video below.