Stand-up comedy superstar Kevin Hart recently sat down with Sway Calloway (pictured above with Hart) for an edition of the new limited-run channel, Town Hall, on SiriusXM Radio. The two talked for an hour in front of a live audience who had the opportunity to learn a few things about the Think Like a Man star in person! I was able to join the small audience in the Sirius studios I midtown Manhattan, thus, here are five interesting things we learned from the taping, which will be re-broadcast today at 3 pm ET on Raw Dog Comedy, Channel 99!
1. Hart officially turns Satirist: Kevin Hart’s new show The Real Husbands of Hollywood actually evolved from a sketch Hart put together for the 2011 BET Awards. The series follows the daily, slightly scripted (well, a bit more than ‘slightly’), lives of Hart, actors Boris Kodjoe and Duane Martin, comedians JB Smoove and Nick Cannon, and singer Robin Thicke. He claims he wanted to create the show because he hates reality television. “You hate to love reality television,” he says. “You’ll say, ‘Oh, I hate The Real Housewives of Atlanta. I hate Basketball Wives.’ But you tune in every week to watch the debacle.” Hart promises a true satire on society’s treatment of reality television. He hopes to mock those shows by flipping them on their head.
2. Kevin wants to host the Oscars: When talking to Sway about hosting the BET Awards and, more recently, the 2012 VMAs, Kevin Hart thinks he’s proven himself in that capacity— and will never host them again. “You can’t outdo yourself. So I’m never going to host those two again.” But like his comedy mentor, Chris Rock, he hopes to one day host the Academy Awards. We think he would rock it. Don’t you?
3. Strip clubs are not conducive to stand-up comedy: One audience member asked Hart if he had ever been heckled, which led him to recall performing in a strip club and having a Buffalo wing thrown at his face on stage! The funny story reminds all of us that every great stand-up comic has to begin his journey working any gig he or she can get!
4. Hart is taking the lead(s): Ever since last year’s big screen hit, Think Like a Man, Hart has accepted more leading male and co-star roles in 2013. Apart from Think Like A Man 2, which begins shooting this summer, you can expect to see him in Ride Along, About Last Night and Grudge Match, alongside Robert DeNiro and Sylvester Stallone. He also recently signed deals to make a film with Will Ferrell and another with Seth Rogen. The next two years will be jammed pack with a lot of the big-talent from the small package comedian!
5. You should be watching BET: Kevin Hart’s new fake reality show, The Real Husbands of Hollywood airs Tuesday nights at 10 pm ET. It’s hilarious and deserves your support.